Monday, January 22, 2007

An All-Niter!

Well, I can't remember when the last time was that I pulled an "all-niter"! But, I got to last night! And it wasn't for a cram session for a final exam, or some crazy party, or some all night girl talk, or the inability to sleep, but it was due to our first night of vomiting all night with our 18 month old daughter! Poor little baby, there is almost nothing worse than having to watch your baby throw up! Especially since they don't have a clue as to what is happening or why. She would just get this awful look on her face like why me ! I was holding during these episodes, and I was trying to "talk" her through this horrendous experience. Her poor little body just had no control during these events and she basically just gave her whole body into them. But when she would finish each little episode I would ask her if she was ok, and she would very seriously shake her head yes and then want her paci and her blankie back!

And of course since this is our first child and our first night of vomiting, it was pretty scary for us too! I have had the privilege of spending the evening with a vomiting baby before when my niece was about a year old, in fact Brad was there with me! It was no fun then either! It all started about 10:30 just as we were turning off a movie and headed to bed. We heard a strange noise from the monitor, and I jumped up knowing exactly what had just happened. So Brad played cleanup guy while I tended to Jaycie (just like when we were watching my niece!) Jaycie and I settled on the couch where Daddy continually was bringing new towels and washing dirty ones. Daddy finally went to bed around 12:45 and Jaycie and I stayed on the couch watching movies til about 1:30 am when the vomiting started slowing down, and I finally turned off the TV and told her it was night night time. I knew she was exhausted, but since she's the sort who will only sleep in her crib, I didn't think she would sleep on my chest, but she was OUT! That baby was EXHAUSTED! So after several more clean ups and changes of clothes, she finally slept for about an hour and a half without vomiting, so I finally put her in her crib about 6:00 am, just enough time to hopefully get at least a couple hours of sleep before she awoke again!

Today she is better, but of course not quite the same baby we usually know. And she doesn't understand why she can't eat and drink anything she wants! I am so thankful that #1 she hasn't been this sick before and #2 that I don't have to get up and go to work today!! In fact I've already called my part-time part-time job and told them we wouldn't be in tomorrow either! I don't remember much of the night other than laying there watching her every move, jumping at any move thinking here she goes again! But even though it was not the cleanest memory, it still is a great one because she let me hold her and she slept on my chest most of the night! She hasn't done that since she was a newborn! I'd rather spend an "all niter" holding my baby rather than cramming for some stupid test or going to some party any night of the year!

2 comments:

Sharon Harris said...

My goodness aren't you the great writer??!! I must say that I am really impressed with all your attention to great detail!! I'm not sure about all the talk of "vomiting"!!! Sweetie, you are a very good mother, I can tell that in everything that you do and say. You should never doubt that in fact, you are as close to perfect as God has allowed anyone to be!! I am so very proud of you!!! Wonder how may other surprises or secrets you've got up your little sleeve!!!

Love,

Mom

PS, sure hope Jaycie isn't scared of all the goblins next Halloween!!

Jessica said...

Poor thing! I hate tummy bugs!